Welcome from the Conference Co-chairs
A warm welcome to the 3rd Conference of the Association for the Social Sciences and Humanities in HIV (ASSHH), which will take place between 6-9 July 2015 in Stellenbosch, South Africa. The Association’s previous conferences took place in Durban in 2011 and Paris in 2013.
As Conference Co-chairs, we have worked hard to develop an exciting programme for the meeting, which will bring together critically informed and theoretically engaged scholars and practitioners from a wide range of social science and humanities disciplines. Our goal as in previous meetings is to ask the kinds of critical questions it is sometimes difficult to pose in other settings, and to contribute to new and creative ways of thinking about the HIV epidemic.
We chose Stellenbosch for this 3rd meeting because it is close to Cape Town international airport and other transport routes, and offers some of the best facilities available. It has a forward-looking university and a range of different kinds of accommodation, and is located in some of the most beautiful countryside in the Western Cape.
We have planned the Conference around a number of themes, although roundtable sessions and workshops will provide opportunities for many other issues to be engaged with and discussed:
- (Re)-writing the history of AIDS: whose facts, whose visions, whose stories?
- An ‘epidemic of signification – cultural and media representations 30 years on, in the era of PrEP and ‘universal’ access
- Sexual orientation and gender identity – a new or enduring battleground?
- The politics of 'practice': research and practitioner perspectives on intervention and programme development
- Power, politics and resistance: the demise of agency in the face of constraint
- Positive nostalgia(s) and the international HIV response
- Renewing social sciences and humanities research
Of special interest to researchers, advocates, policy makers, programme managers, community workers and practitioners,
this 3rd ASSHH Conference aims to provide opportunities for wide-ranging discussion and spirited debate.
To register for the 3rd International ASSHH Conference and become an ASSHH Member please CLICK HERE
We look forward to seeing you.
Peter Aggleton (UNSW Australia)
Pierre Brouard (University of Pretoria, South Africa)
Mary Crewe (University of Pretoria, South Africa)
Gary Dowsett (La Trobe University, Australia)